Top Destinations / Food & Wine Vacation
FOOD & WINE VACATION
FROM VALLEYS TO VINEYARDS
Enjoy the comforts of home wherever your love of wine and great food take you, from Californias Napa Valley to the vineyards of Tuscany.
1. Many Endless Vacations resorts offer on-site programs and activities and in some cases, award-winning, on-site restaurants. Check with the resort before you arrive to see whats available, and if any advance reservations are needed.
2. Spontaneity can be a good thing, but with a food and wine vacation, it never hurts to do a little advance planning. After all, there are only so many meals and/or wines you can sample in a one- or two-week trip. Sites such as www.chowhound.com offer a wealth of information about many destinations.
3. Why just sample exquisite cuisine when you can learn to prepare it as well? Cooking classes and restaurant chef for a day programs are becoming increasingly popular at culinary vacation destinations.
4. Like to fish for your dinner? Many restaurants in coastal destinations will artfully prepare your days catch for a meal you'll likely never forget.
5. Confirm your travel and activity reservations before you leave. If you think you'll arrive after the scheduled check-in time, notify your resort and find out if any special instructions are needed.
6. If you'll be leaving the country, make two copies of each traveler's passport. Leave one copy with a friend or family member; take the other with you and store it in your resort safe.
7. Check the weather at your destination a day or two before your departure. Many websites, such as www.weather.com, offer quick and easy ways to access a forecast almost anywhere.
8. If you are flying, pack important items in your carry-on that you may need if your bags get delayed (medications, travel documents, etc.).
9. If you are driving (or renting a car to get from airport to resort), consider visiting a website such as www.mapquest.com for directions and approximate driving times. Then have a GPS or road atlas handy, if possible, to help for those times when you accidently venture off course.
10. You may be headed to a resort, condo or house with the comforts of home, but that doesn't mean you have to take your home with you. Many things may be bought during a quick visit to the grocery store, either right before or after you check in. This includes all the ingredients for a great home-cooked meal.